Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mid-Life Crisis!

Why am I not wanting to buy a hot red sports car? Or trade my husband in for a younger model? Or get boobs that don't move or botox that lets me express myself? Why am I not normal? What is wrong with me?

What do I want? Well, I want too much too quick. That is the first sign that I am experiencing a mid-life crisis. I want to open my own gym when I know I am not quite ready. Everything I do points to me doing this. I have my following, I have established my classes but I can't REALLY grow my business without a facility. Wow, that is a big step. Until now, having no overhead has been sweet. No pressure to make the numbers, I only pay rent when I use a space so why would I want to take that next step? Maybe it is because I am confident I can do it. My clients are awesome but I need to offer more. My schedule is opening up in the fall so I want to pursue some clients with this time. Or maybe it is because my husband can't believe how much my fitness equipment is taking over our garage! Maybe a gym in my garage......hmmmm.

What else do I want? Well, I want to see what I am capable of. In sport and profession. This whole crossfit games idea has got me a bit re-energized to the point of me thinking I should just sell my tri bike and buy some other equipment. While triathlon was fun while it lasted, I am realizing now that it didn't make me as fit as I would like, which was the original goal. I was decently fit moving forward, but put me on a soccer field, ask me to play softball or volleyball and there was a very good chance I would get injured. That is not the athlete I want to be. I always thought the three disciplines made me well rounded. It definitely gave me the variety I needed at the time, but it didn't get me where I really wanted to go. Don't get me wrong, the sport of triathlon will always hold a special place in my heart, I love coaching athletes and being part of that community. I hope I can bring another piece to triathletes I coach in the form of strength.

Your thoughts on these things I WANT RIGHT NOW? And have to wait for?

So sports cars have never really impressed me. I have a hot hubby and I am SO very lucky that he puts up with me. And the boobies and smile lines are just what they are.....part of me (plus, the idea of having sugery when it is not really necessary just seems like a bad idea to me). Upon reflection, I think I. Am. Normal. I just place value on different things. For instance, when Matt and I were in Chicago we walked by the Burberry store. He said I could go in and buy whatever I wanted. I had no interest. I walked on by. However, I made damn sure we visited CrossfitChicago and went to the Goose Island Brewery that weekend! Priorities!!!!

4 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

From a muscle / strength stand point Tri actually DOES not make you well balanced as you obviously know. Since you use very few of your lateral stabilizers and are doing alot of repetitive motion it sure can lead to imbalances in the muscle-tendon area.

As for "Wanting it all.." I dont think you are abnormal at all, and when you have a solid business plan and you decide to take the leap I am sure it will be a great venture. Sometimes you just have to jump in and not look back. Otherwise you regret it.

I dont know all the details but i am sure you will when you are ready....Just open up closer to St Paul bc I am puny arms and want some pipes like yours. LOL. HAHA. ( Ok seriously!)

Lauren Teather said...

Hi Darcy!! Just checking in with you! I'm still trying to get over your statement about Triathalons not making you as fit as you'd like to be.... from a couch potato, that's a serious laugher!! Man, you've got gumption!

As for your dream gym - GO FOR IT! Of course you should do that!! I think ti's an awesome idea! Look what you have done so far?!? You are AMAZING and you can totally do it!! I'm all for it Darc - and can't wait to hear more updates on this in the future. .... makes me so proud to be your friend!

Cy said...

Great post Darcy! It's wonderful to read your passion for this new challenge, and with passion comes great success.

....So, I played kickball with a bunch of friend on Saturday, and my hip flexors are still screaming! You open that studio and I'll be there! I need it :-)

Val said...

HI! I found you from mamasweat's page, a comment you left back 2008!

I'm loving your blog! You're always welcomed over at mine to. Make yourself at home :o)

I agree with this about triathlon. I started doing triathlons last year. I expected to lose weight really fast and see that muscle toning happen... it didn't. I started some other things and kept running (became a runner thanks to triathlon!). I lost so much more weight and got in better shape so much faster!

I'm now focusing more on continuing to run and build muscle. I want felxibility, balance, agility, and strength more than being able to complete a triathlon. But like you, triathlon will always hold a special place in my heart and personally I will definitely absolutely go back to triathlon soon. But for now, I need to build up these other areas.