Sunday, October 4, 2009

THE Experiment.


Hugging my kiddos at mile 21 or so. No actions shots!


Purpose: Could I run a sub 4-hour marathon with no long run training and added strength training (crossfit)?

Hypothesis: My first goal was really just to finish. I was doubtful that I could do it in under 4 hours, considering every other marathon I have run was accomplished with a full training plan of running at least 3 days per week, including one long run each week up to 23 miles.

Method:

1. My longest run would be at the track and would be kept to single digits. These runs consisted of extended warm-up, 3-5 miles of hard running and then a cool down to finish out mileage. My mileage these days ranged from 6-9 miles.

2. No other required running. Once in a while I would meet Julie & Courtney for hills on Fridays, but other than that, any running that was done was within a crossfit workout, which is minimal.

3. No running on weekends!!! I had a life on the weekend!

4. Crossfitting 4-5 times/week.

5. Swimming 1-2 times/week.

6. Cycling once/week.....and that is only if I was teaching my cycle class that week.

7. No taper.

Result: 3:31:01 (my PR is a 3:06:xx)

I started out ultra conservative. First mile was 8:40, 2nd 8:20, 3rd 8:40 and kept it in the mid 8's for quite some time. I passed the 9 mile mark expecting at any moment to explode since that is the longest distance I had run. Didn't happen. I kept up a decently conservative pace, enjoyed the crowd AND the absolutely perfect running conditions.

I passed the 1/2 marathon mark at about 1:49 feeling awesome. I sped up just slightly until the 20 mile mark. I didn't hit the wall. I sped up more. My last 5.2 were all done at sub 7 minute pace. I felt like a million bucks.

Conclusion:

I am completely shocked with this result. I was very doubtful I could break 4 hours, let alone feel good doing it. I was convinced at some mile in the teens I would hit the wall and the rest of it would be extremely painful. I was packing ibuprofen just in case! I thought I would be out of commission for the rest of the day. Not only is that not the case, I have been going non-stop since I got home! I can walk down the stairs like I normally do AND sit down and get up from the toilet without pain!

What did I learn from this experience? Much more than I ever thought I would....I learned that I am NEVER going to do long runs for a marathon again. If I ever go for a PR, my runs may go up to 15, but that 's it. I truly believe it's NOT necessary! How you start your marathon is SO important! I have always known this but had to learn the hard way. Being conservative at the beginning and not freaking out about going too slow is key. Increased strength training kept me strong throughout and less sore at the end. Crossfit helped me mentally because even though those workouts are shorter than a marathon, they are the hardest ones you will ever do!

One other conclusion I made was that my body was fresh from not doing long runs and/or high mileage. I wasn't borderline injured like many are that do a lot of miles. My body was fresh and my mind was ready to go!

I don't want to minimize the importance of training here. I trained very hard, it just wasn't specific to marathon. I wouldn't recommend doing your first marathon this way. This worked for me because I have several marathons under my belt and know how to start. I don't know anyone that hasn't had to learn this the hard way. In that case, those long runs will definitely come in handy!

Now, we will see how I feel tomorrow morning!!

21 comments:

Cy said...

You should post your awesome Cross Fit video with this post- To help the readers see just how Bad A$$ you are (just in case they don't know you well enough). I love the experiment. You go girl.

See you Wednesday!

Kara said...

This reader knows she's a bad ass. That was great. Sign me up.

cadesdad said...

Awesome. Congrats Darcy!

Unknown said...

GO DARCY!!! GO CROSSFIT!!!

I've seen other friends have similar success with a similar plan. There's no mistaking the benefit that CF brings to many disciplines, especially endurance events.

How are the legs feeling today? I can't imagine a marathon recovery where you can actually negotiate stairs successfully!

Steve Stenzel said...

HOLY CRAP!!! Great job!! That's amazing!!

bmack said...

Awesome Darcy! I have something I'd like to offer if you can email me... anaerobic@mac.com

CrossFit Minnesota said...

You are seriously one of my favorite people on earth!!

Steve Stenzel said...

I linked this to my blog today! I bet people will love this!! Congrats again!!

Lauren Starks said...

Followed the link from ^^Steve. Training for my first marathon now.

You ROCK!

Adam said...

Hi Darcy,
Came across your blog somehow through the blogosphere and was fascinated by the similarities.

Looks like you're a Rosemount grad...I was at Lakeville two years older. Great work on the marathon, I've had a very similar experience recently. My long run leading up to the Superior Trail 100 mile run was 14 miles. A LOT of CrossFit inspired workouts (I don't go to their gym, but have an entire basement full of CrossFit supplies). Unfortunately I had to drop at 62 due to battered toes and feet, but the lack of long training runs had nothing to do with it.

I also eat what I call a primal diet. Very low carbohydrate. Ate almost zero carb the three days leading up to the race and zero carb the morning of the race. The same diet and training allowed me to run fairly close to my PR at the hot Grandma's this year.

I've subscribed to your blog, look forward to reading in the future. Good luck with the running and CrossFit Games!

Chic Runner said...

Wow, this is a really interesting experiment!! I am a runner like yourself that trains and trains and still hasn't run a great marathon or race. Very, very interesting! I will for sure be circulating this!

Brad, Cheri and Sammy said...

Darcy, I jumped over from Steves post. Having done triathlon for several years, I am going to train for IM Louisville on Cf and CF endurance. Nobody in my tri club likes my plan or thinks it will work. This was great inspiration!

Christina Barkley said...

This is AWESOME! What a great finish - CONGRATS!
Also want to say thanks for sharing your story. I actually really needed to hear this today. You see, long story long, I am a triathlete (training for my 1st Ironman - IMFlorida in less than a month) and I have been sidelined for the past 8 weeks by stress fractures in my foot.
Almost everyone I have talked to (except my coach) has told me that I shouldn't even bother going to do this race, seeing as I have not been running for so long. Mind you...I have been riding my bike, swimming & aqua-jogging while healing (AND before my injury I was up to long run of 12-13 miles)...so my fitness isn't complete crap, but the fact is, I have not run in 8 weeks.
So I have really struggled with whether or not to compete. I did finally make up my mind to go & race & reading your story helps me feel better about this decision.
The good news is, as of just today, I am officially out of my boot & will be able to run a bit before the race. Also, my coach shares this same philosophy of no super-long runs before a marathon, too.
I think you (and my coach, too -- who I secretly thought was crazy for not letting me run more than 18 miles before my 1st marathon!!) may be onto something here!
Thanks for listening & again - CONGRATS!

{will run for margaritas} said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog - and so glad I found this post. I have been a runner my whole life and just recently started toying with the idea of a marathon (with hopes to qualify for Boston)! I would love to talk more with you about your journey to a 3:31 marathon with running 9 miles and crossfit!

Can't wait to keep reading!
http://willrunformargaritas.blogspot.com/

Brian said...

Hi there! This is so impressive, I am going to consider trying a method similar to this for an upcoming marathon (I'd use P90X instead of Cross Fit). Can I ask you, how long did you train for the race? 16 weeks? Longer? Less? Thanks!

KC said...

Amazing, Darcy!!

GoBigGreen said...

I sure know this theory works for me with shorter distances ( ie 10-13mi) but have never had the guts to do it for a full! I think i would be quite sore afterwards, but heck..you blew this out of the water! Nice job!

Chad said...

Darcy, this is very interesting. I wonder if your goal of breaking 4 was too conservative. I mean your PR is 3:06 and you're still very active. Do you think you could run a 3:06 on this type of training? If not, does that mean you're content with running slower on less mileage, but more strength training?

Darcy Franklin said...

Chad, yes, 4 hours might have been a bit conservative, but I had no idea what to expect so I am very happy with how things turned out.

I am having so much fun with crossfit and running in moderation that doing long runs is not appealing to me, even if it means faster times. I do plan on trying this again, tweaking my training to running 3 times/week but not more than 20-25 miles/week.

Yes, I think I can go faster than 3:31 on this type of training. Can I break 3:06? Only time will tell!

Lauren Teather said...

Have I told you lately how awesome I think you are?

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Congratsssssss - that is really awesome! www.mile-posts.blogspot.com