Monday, October 11, 2010

Something Ironic, Funny, Yummy & Serious

Irony. Here it is. Saturday marked the annual Hale School Carnival Fundraiser. I volunteer every year. Last year I got to play games with the kids for 2 hours. THAT was fun. This year I got assigned to serve up chili. It was 80 degrees out. Nobody wanted chili. That's okay, I was sweating standing by the cookers so I was happy to move to another station. Little did I know it was a demotion. Cotton Candy. Have you ever been up close and personal with a cotton candy machine? I got down and dirty(or down and sugary). Fortunately I do not like cotton candy otherwise this would have been an impossible temptation. First of all, that shit is hard to make and wrap around a stick in a nice, fluffy ball. AND, if flies EVERYWHERE! After an hour and a half of making cotton candy for eager kiddos, I had it in my hair, on my shirt, in my eyes, all over my arms, on my shoes. I wore my watch this morning and could have licked it and gotten a sugar high. The thought went through my mind and wondered if is was possible for the sugar to seep into my pores, horror! And finally, when we got home, I immediately headed towards the shower, even though I think Matt was slightly regretting being on the Whole30 at this point because I would've tasted damn good! TMI??? Too bad.

Funny. See that kid to the left? That is my 6 year old enjoying a kale, spinach, banana, and vanilla almond milk smoothie. See that green stache? He loves them. Now, I made a batch for Matt and I first and used just plain ole' coconut milk. These are surprisingly tasty with the almond milk and bearable with the coconut milk. If you are looking for a ton of nutrients, or are having difficulty getting your greens, this would be a quick and dirty way to do it. You could do it in a shot glass and pretend you are drinking alcohol. OOOH, maybe we could have a party at our house - kale shots everyone!

Yummy. Cobb Salad. Lots of greens, grilled chicken, onion, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, avacado, bacon, and a dressing to die for. Prior to Whole 30 I added Feta and that was about the only difference. Still tasty. Filled me up.


Recipe for Dressing (enough for 2 salads):
2 TBSP EVOO
1 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1/4-1/2 dijon mustard
Paprika to taste
Wisk. Boom. Done.

I believe this is the dressing Matt whipped up for our steak salads the other night.

Serious. I receive many fitness magazines, some for leisure and some for more serious education. As I was reading through one of my more serious magazines, I came across and article titled "Orthorexia Nervosa: A Primer - Is it possible for healthful eating to become unhealthy?" written by Amanda Mellowspring. I didn't realize this had been diagnosed and named, but I guess Orthorexia Nervosa is what I was concerned about after attending the Whole9 presentation. Many people have food issues so please be aware of your relationship with food through this journey. If you have/had issues, please click on the link which will provide a little more info on this and be in tune with your brain!

Please comment with feedback, thoughts, recipes, or whatever!

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you posted something about the 'serious'. Being healthy and making healthy choices is great - obsessing about it and over analyzing is not and it can ruin people. Nice reminder, lady! thanks!

Court said...

LOVE the green stache!